Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It's been a while....

Apologies for being completely MIA for over a year. I moved to California a year back, which is great to begin with, but to make it more exciting the state has really changed my culinary life. It has made me a much more conscious eater, both environmentally and nutritionally.

I love eating delicious and healthy food but living here has opened my eyes about how 'healthy' not only means using healthy and nutritious ingredients but also making sure you know where your ingredients are coming from. Are the fruits, vegetables, meats and dairy that you purchase grown naturally in a safe environment or are they genetically modified or raised inhumanely? I highly recommend watching two documentaries that contributed to this alteration in my definition of 'healthy'; 1) Food, Inc (which looks at where our food really comes from and what that means for the health of our future generations if it remains this way) and 2) Forks over Knives (which is based on the claim that we can drastically reduce, or even reverse, degenerative diseases if we decrease or eliminate animal based and processed products from our diet). Don't get me wrong...I do not believe in completely eliminating anything from my diet. However, these two documentaries have made me realize that getting my ingredients from authentic farmers' markets or other trusted outlets (mainly organic meats and produce) can make a big difference on one's health. I have also cut down my consumption of meat quite drastically and have noticed that my energy levels have gone up and I feel lighter and healthier.

My blog, as always, will provide you with a healthy twist on recipes from all over the globe. I will try and concentrate a little more on vegetarian/vegetable dominant methods. You are welcome to alter the recipes to your liking and preferences. In fact, please do let me know if you change it and like the outcome so that everyone can benefit from your experience. And, of course, be healthy but never stop eating...! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment